Monday, January 23, 2012

January 23, 2012~Knitting!!! Here I come.....



THAT’S IT…..!!!!

I am going to try to learn to knit AGAIN!!! Several people throughout the YEARS tried to teach me how to knit. Starting with my grandpa Reynold Carlson’s sister in law Great Aunt Helen who was married to his brother. She even tried to teach me tatting with a shuttle. Then when we moved to Florida my best friend Beate McCurdy tried…I just held the needles way TOO TIGHT and gave up. I kept dropping stitches and could not get the needles to pull the yarn through the loops.

Since I was having troubles seeing the charts for my counted cross stitch from having surgery the month before…I thought maybe I should try knitting again. So I talked to some friends here in town to see which yarn shop I should go to for to take my class. After much deliberation and remember has the Yarns Unlimited shop treated people when they visited their store & the horrible parking I decided to go to In A Yarn Basket. They were located where the parking was ample and you did not have to pay to park and fight for a parking space…PLUS I do not and probably never be able to parallel park very well.

So off I went to In A Yarn Basket to sign up for their Knitting Beginner Class taught by Kathy Shewmaker. WOW…! It was GREAT! Kathy was able to get it through my head this time. The class I was in was one that Kathy was absolutely AMAZED at how fast we picked up on it. The class was a 2 hour class and in the first 30 minutes she has all the stitches and cast on taught. She said I am going to have to find something for our next class for you all. She had a sampler scarf that used to be used for the beginner class but found it was too much…and new knitters wanted to see their results faster so she changed it up to be just washcloths. 

Here is the first thing we knit in class:


I had completed the 3 washcloths that she had given to us to be able to practice what we had learned on the first night. Here is my wash clothes I had finished.


Close up of the last one I knitted...I see mistakes but that is how you learn to fix the mistakes!!!

The discovery of knitting needles with a sharper point is what made all the difference for me……..
Here are the pictures of what I did in the two classes…

No comments:

Post a Comment